Since the first air fryer was invented in 2010 by Philips, it has gradually increased in popularity with more rapid growth in recent years.
The Philips air fryer was designed to cook food using hot air, much like a convection oven. However, the air fryer is smaller and more compact than a traditional oven, making it more convenient for cooking small meals or snacks.
The Philips air fryer quickly became a popular kitchen appliance, and other companies soon began to produce their own versions of the air fryer.
Today, there are many different brands and models of air fryers on the market, each with its own unique features.
We decided to analyse how search demand has changed over the last 4 years for the air fryer as well as the most popular brands and most searched for air fryer recipes.
- Search demand for the term ‘air fryer’ saw a 50% increase between December 2020 to December 2021.
- Air fryers have seen the highest search demand since December 2019, overtaking searches for traditionally popular small kitchen appliances including slow cookers and blenders.
- Ninja Air Fryers led the way in popularity – they were searched for 2,386% more than the next most popular brand, Tower Air Fryers.
- Air fryer chips is the most searched for recipe, closely followed by air fryer chicken.
- Running an air fryer is cheaper than running an oven. It costs 14.62p to cook chips in an air fryer vs 35.38p to cook chips in a fan assisted oven.
HOW SEARCH DEMAND HAS CHANGED FOR THE AIR FRYER
- Search volume for the term ‘air fryer’ increased from 201,000 monthly searches in December 2020 to 301,000 monthly searches in December 2021, a rise of 50%.
- The largest change in search demand was seen between December 2019 and December 2020 with an increase of 122%.
Monthly Google search volumes:
December 2018: 49,500
December 2019: 90,500
December 2020: 201,000
December 2021: 301,000
HOW DOES AIR FRYER DEMAND COMPARE WITH OTHER KITCHEN APPLIANCES?
Google search in December 2021:
- Air Fryer: 301,000
- Blender: 135,000
- Slow Cooker: 74,000
- Soup Maker: 49,500
WHICH BRAND SAW THE HIGHEST SEARCH DEMAND?
It seems that every kitchen appliance company or store are releasing an air fryer model to meet the demand. But which one is the clear winner?
- Ninja Air Fryers were searched 2386% more than the second most popular air fryer brand in December 2022.
- Ninja Air Fryers were searched for 823,000 in Google search in December 2021 vs 33,100 searches for the next most popular searched brand, Tower.
WHAT ARE THE MOST SEARCHED FOR AIR FRYER RECIPES?
An air fryer is a versatile appliance with opportunities to cook a variety of foods. But what do we love to cook in the air fryer the most?
Google searches April 2022:
- Chips: 12,200
- Chicken: 10,100
- Roast Potatoes: 4,400
- Jacket Potato: 2,400
- Bacon: 1,900
- Sausage: 1,900
- Donuts: 1,600
- Steak: 1,600
- Salmon: 1,600
HOW THE DATA WAS COMPILED
We compared estimated Google search data using Semrush, a popular digital marketing software platform used for keyword research and online ranking data.
Is It Cheaper To Run An Air Fryer?
With the increase in energy bills, many people are looking for more economical ways to cook.
We have taken a look at the costs of running an air fryer compared to a fan assisted oven.
- The cost to cook chips in an oven = 35.38p
- The cost to cook chips in an air fryer = 14.62p
- The cost to cook chicken thighs in an oven = 35.38p to 47.16p
- The cost to cook chicken thighs in an air fryer = 16.08p to 20.47p
It is cheaper to run an air fryer than an oven. This is due to lower wattage and it taking less time to cook food in an air fryer compared to an oven.
- Based on a 2500W fan assisted oven and a 1550W 3.8L Ninja Air Fryer.
- Assuming an electricity cost of 28.30p KWH (source The Energy Shop).
- Based on chips taking 30 minutes in an oven and 20 minutes in an air fryer.
- Based on chicken thighs taking 30 to 40 minutes in an oven and 22 to 28 minutes in an air fryer.
PERMISSION TO USE DATA
Liana’s Kitchen grants you permission to reuse, host, or repost the graphics and images from this article.
When doing so, we ask that you kindly attribute the authors by linking to Liana’s Kitchen, or this page.
GET IN TOUCH
If you would like to get in touch with Liana’s Kitchen to request any further information please feel free to contact us here.