Mexican beef stew in the slow cooker is a simple and tasty way to enjoy a comforting meal with a twist of Mexican spice thrown in!
How To Make Slow Cooker Mexican Beef Stew
You can make this Mexican stew as spicy or mild as you want by increasing or reducing the chipotle paste, or even adding in some sliced green chillies.
What You Need:
For exact measurements and instructions please scroll down to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Diced stewing beef or a beef joint
- Onion & garlic
- Chipotle paste – you can make your own chipotle paste or buy it in a jar from most supermarkets.
- Spices – smoked paprika, cumin, chilli powder, onion powder, garlic powder
- Juice of 1 lime
- Tinned tomatoes and beef stock
- Fresh sweet peppers (optional)
Place the beef in the slow cooker. In a separate bowl or jug mix the remaining ingredients apart from the sweet peppers if using. Pour this mixture over the beef in the slow cooker.
Beef tastes best in the slow cooker when it is cooked on low for a long time, this helps it to come out soft and tender and full of flavour.
I cooked this for 8 hours on low, but if you don’t have enough time you can cook it on high for 4 hours. If you are adding the sweet peppers you can add these at the beginning, or, if you prefer them to not be too soft, add them 30 minutes before the end.
At the end of the cooking time if you have used a whole beef joint use 2 forks to shred it and then mix it in with the sauce.
What To Serve With Slow Cooker Mexican Beef Stew
Serve with rice or over a jacket potato.
I hope you enjoy this slow cooker recipe, if you make it, let me know in the comments how it went!
Related: Slow Cooker Recipes Collection
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 1-2 tbsp chipotle paste
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 100ml beef stock (made from 1 stock pot)
- 500g – 700g diced beef/joint of beef
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 sweet bell peppers, deseeded and sliced (optional)
- Seasoning according to taste
- In a bowl or jug mix together the chopped tomatoes, chipotle paste, lime juice, spices and stock.
- Add the beef joint, or diced beef to the slow cooker together with the chopped onions and crushed garlic as well as any seasoning.
- Pour the stock and tomato mixture over the top of the beef.
- If you are adding sweet peppers you can add these in now or wait until 30 minutes before the end of the cook time.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- If you used a beef joint, shred the beef at the end of the cooking time.
Serve with rice or over a jacket potato.Use just 1tbsp of chipotle paste for a milder taste.Optionally add in 1 or 2 sliced green chillies for some extra spice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 641Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 171mgSodium: 359mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 55g
100 easy to make, tried and tested UK recipes including;
- Chilli Peanut Coconut Chicken
- Beef & Sweet Potato Stew
- Chocolate Lava Cake - and many more!