Celeriac soup is a hearty dish that can be made in just 30 minutes.
Celeriac provides a creamy texture to the soup, while the garlic and herbs add an aromatic flavour.
This recipe is perfect for those cold winter days when you want something light yet filling to warm up with!
How To Make Celeriac Soup
This celeriac soup has been made in a soup maker, but it can also be made in a saucepan with the help of a blender.
What You Need:
- Potato, dice (optional to thicken up soup)
- Celery and/or leek
- Stock (vegetable or chicken)
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
Optional Extras or Alternatives:
Prepare The Celeriac
Prepare the celeriac by topping and tailing it and then peeling the skin – you will need to use a sharp knife to take the skin off.
Chop the celeriac into small cubes.
Using A Soup Maker
Add the ingredients to the soup maker, optionally sauteeing the onion, garlic and celery if that function is built-in.
Add the vegetable (or chicken) stock up to the MAX line of the soup maker.
Set off on ‘smooth.’
Optionally stir in some cream and garnish with croutons and crispy bacon bits.
Using A Saucepan
Heat a little oil or butter in a saucepan and gently saute the onion for a few minutes, followed by the garlic and celery.
Add the remaining ingredients, including the stock (approx 1 litre). Bring to a boil before reducing the heat and leaving to simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the celeriac is soft.
Use a stick blender to puree the soup.
Optionally stir in some double cream and garnish with bacon and croutons.
More Celeriac Recipes
I hope you like this celeriac soup recipe, let me know in the comments if you end up making it, or if you have any questions!
- 1 celeriac
- 1 potato* (approx 200g)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 800ml vegetable or chicken stock
- Prepare the celeriac by topping and tailing it and peeling the skin with a knife. Dice into similar sized cubes.
- If you are using a soup maker, add all the ingredients to the jug and top up to the MAX line with either vegetable or chicken stock. Set off on smooth.
- If you are using a saucepan, saute the onion in a little butter or oil before adding the garlic and celery and gently softening for a further couple of minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, followed by the stock - add about 1 L of stock when making soup in the saucepan. Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, or until the celeriac has softened. Use a hand blender to blitz it into a smooth soup.
- When the soup is ready optionally stir in some cream, crispy bacon bits and croutons.
Adding potato is optional - I used some to thicken the soup up but if you have enough celeriac and other ingredients to fill the soup maker you don't need to add any.
Celeriac sizes vary in weight, if you use a smaller sized celeriac you might need to add a little more potato to ensure the soup is thick enough.
Leek is another great ingredient to include in a celeriac soup.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 185Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 169mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 9gSugar: 7gProtein: 8g