There are some dishes that just scream comfort food, and dippy eggs are one of them.
This super easy breakfast is perfect for a weekend breakfast or a quick snack.
All you need is some eggs, bread and butter!
What Are Dippy Eggs?
Also called eggs and soldiers, dippy eggs are a childhood favourite. Dippy eggs are soft boiled eggs (the yolk is runny) served with toasted bread cut into slices (the soldiers).
What Do You Need To Make Dippy Eggs?
To make dippy eggs all you need are some fresh eggs at saucepan and some water.
How To Make Dippy Eggs (Soldier and Eggs)
It’s best if the eggs are at room temperature before you add them to the boiling water. This will help reduce the risk of the egg cracking when it enters the hot water.
1. Fill a saucepan with water and bring it to a boil.
2. Carefully place the eggs into the water.
3. Boil the eggs for 5 minutes for a runny yolk and 6 to 7 minutes for a slightly firmer soft boiled egg.
4. Remove the eggs from the pan and place them into egg cups.
5. Using a spoon, carefully remove the top of the egg.
6. Serve with toasted soldiers and enjoy dipping them in!
How Long Does It Take To Boil An Egg?
It depends on how you like your eggs! For a runny yolk, boil the egg for 5 minutes. For a slightly firmer soft boiled egg, boil the egg for 6 to 7 minutes. For a hard boiled egg cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
Can You Start With Cold Water?
It is a common kitchen myth that you can’t boil an egg in cold water. The truth is, you can boiled an egg in cold water – it just takes a little longer.
The key to successful boiled eggs is to use room temperature eggs, this will help them cook evenly and prevent them from cracking.
To boil an egg in cold water, simply place the egg in a pot of cold water and bring it to a boil. Once the water has reached boiling point, reduce the heat and allow the egg to cook for the desired amount of time.
You can then remove the egg from the pot and place it in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. Whether you’re using hot or cold water, remember to always use fresh, room temperature eggs for the best results.
Alternative Methods To Make Dippy Eggs
Although using a saucepan is the most common way to make a soft boiled egg, you can also make them using one of the following;
- Air Fryer – see our guide to making air fryer boiled eggs.
- Egg Boiler – an appliance that can make boiled eggs and sometimes poached eggs or omelettes.
- Microwave – not our favourite way to make boiled eggs as there is the risk of the egg exploding if not prepared correctly, but it can be done.
You might also like: Different Ways To Cook Eggs
How To Serve A Dippy Egg
Place the cooked egg in an egg cup and remove the top. This can be done by either gently tapping the top with a spoon to break the shell to remove, or, use a sharp knife to slice the top off.
Toast a slice or 2 of bread and spread with butter. Using a sharp knife, slice the toast lengthways into strips ready for dipping into the egg.
Dippy Eggs Tips
- Use room temperature eggs for the best results. This will help prevent them from cracking when you add them to the boiling water.
- If you’re using cold water, remember to allow for a longer cook time.
- The fresher the egg, the trickier it will be to peel the shell, the best eggs to boil are 3 to 5 days old.
- Don’t forget the butter! Dippy eggs are best enjoyed with a little bit of butter on the toast.
- Salt and pepper are also a nice addition. Season to taste.
What To Serve With Dippy Eggs
The classic is of course buttered ‘soldiers’ – toast sliced into strips ready to be dunked in the egg.
But, you can add some extras on the side. Here are some of our favourites:
How Long Do Dippy Eggs Last?
Dippy eggs are best served and enjoyed straightaway.