Slow cooker chicken fajitas are a quick to prepare meal – just add it all in the slow cooker and leave it to cook while you do something else!
How To Make Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
Chicken fajitas don’t take too long to make in a pan, but sometimes, like other slow cooker recipes, it’s nice to come home to a meal ready to serve.
What You Need:
- Fajita mix
- Tinned tomatoes
- Mixed peppers
I used chicken breasts for this meal, but you can also use boneless chicken thighs.
Much like fajitas made in a pan, you can either use a homemade fajita seasoning mix, or grab a premade one from the supermarket.
To make your own, use a combination of spices including; chilli powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, ground coriander, ground cumin.
It really is a case of adding everything to the slow cooker, mixing it together, adding the lid and turning the slow cooker on.
If you are using chicken breasts, cook on low for 4 hours, or high for 2 to 3 hours. Chicken thighs can be cooked for longer as they won’t dry out so quickly.
At the end of the cooking time remove the chicken from the slow cooker and slice it up, or shred it.
If the remaining sauce seems too thin you can leave it to cook on high for a further 20 to 30 minutes with the lid off, or transfer it to a saucepan and simmer it to reduce the consistency.
How To Serve Chicken Fajitas
Slow cooker chicken fajitas can be served with rice, in tortilla wraps (with salsa, lettuce and grated cheese), over nachos, or on top of a jacket potato.
Related: Cooking Jacket Potatoes
- 4 chicken breasts
- 3-4 tbsp fajita spice mix
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced
- 400g tinned tomatoes
- 4 - 8 tortilla wraps
- Tomato salsa
- Grated cheese
- Lay chicken breasts in slow cooker
- Sprinkle with the fajita mix
- Add chopped onions, peppers and tomatoes - stir everything together
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and set off on low for 4 hours, or high for 2-3 hours
- Remove chicken breasts from the slow cooker and slice before adding to a serving bowl
- If the sauce is too runny in consistency for you, leave the lid off the slow cooker and cook on high for about 20 to 30 minutes to thicken it up, or transfer to a saucepan and simmer until the sauce has thickened and reduced.
- Transfer the mixture of onions, peppers and any sauces from the slow cooker bowl and pour directly over the sliced chicken
- Serve with tortilla wraps or load on top of jacket potatoes
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 842Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 125mgSodium: 1119mgCarbohydrates: 102gFiber: 9gSugar: 7gProtein: 60g