These slow cooked lamb shanks are deliciously tender, brimming with the flavours they have taken on during their time in the slow cooker. Follow this step by step slow cooker lamb shanks recipe to make this tasty meal!
How To Make Lamb Shanks
Lamb shanks taste best when they are slowly cooked. They can be done in the oven too, but I prefer to use my slow cooker for the sake of simplicity.
Should You Brown The Lamb Shanks?
Some people like to brown the lamb shanks before adding them to the slow cooker. I don’t usually bother with this step but if you have the time and inclination, heat up a little oil in a pan and gently cook them on each side before placing them in the slow cooker.
Slow Cooker Lamb Shanks Ingredients
After adding the lamb shanks to the slow cooker add in the chopped carrots, sliced onion, crushed garlic, bay leaves, and mixed herbs.
Pour over the passata (or you can use chopped tomatoes)
Then make up the stock and stir in the Worcestershire sauce and tomato puree before pouring it over the ingredients in the slow cooker.
And that’s all! Set it off on low for around 8 hours, or high for 3 to 4 hours. Serve with mashed potato or rice.
DO YOU WANT TO STAY IN TOUCH?
Join our newsletter for recipes straight to your inbox
You Might Also Like:
- 4 lamb shanks
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 400g passata or chopped tomatoes
- 500ml beef stock
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- Optional: gently brown the lamb shanks in a little oil (I don't usually do this, I just add them straight to the slow cooker, but you can brown them before if you prefer)
- Add lamb shanks to slow cooker.
- Add carrots, onion, garlic, bay leaves and mixed herbs.
- Pour passata or chopped tomatoes over the top.
- Stir tomato puree and Worcestershire sauce in to beef stock and pour over the lamb shanks.
- Set off on high for 3 to 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
Serving suggestion: tastes great with mashed potato or rice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 268Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 90mgSodium: 374mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 28g