This spicy bean soup is perfect for filling up on a chilly day. Make it in a soup maker on a chunky or smooth setting using your favourite beans, or a combination of a few varieties.
It’s always a good idea to have a few tins of beans stored away in the cupboard. They come in handy for so many different dishes. Although I usually end up throwing mine in with a slow cooker recipe, they also taste great in a soup.
I spiced this recipe up with a few spices, cumin, coriander and chilli powder. Not too much – but enough to add a spicy edge.
You can also use a can of mixed beans that come in a prepared chilli sauce.
I have made this recipe in both a Morphy Richards (1.6L) and a Ninja Soup Maker (1.4L).
Simply add everything to the soup maker, add enough hot water up to the line and give everything a good stir. If you want a thick soup I recommend adding two tins (400g).
You can either make it on chunky or smooth. I have done it both ways – I think my favourite is chunky followed by a quick manual pulse/blend at the end to give it that in between consistency.
Server with tortilla crisps, grated cheese or some crusty bread. It is a deliciously filling soup with a hint of spice.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 x tin 400g mixed beans
- 1 x tin 400g chopped tomatoes or passata
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 vegetable stock cube/pot
- Optionally saute the onion and garlic.
- Add all the ingredients to the soup maker.
- Add hot water up to the line and stir to combine.
- Put the lid on and select the smooth or chunky setting, depending on your preferences.
- At the end of the soup making cycle you can optionally partially blend the soup to alter to consistency. Manually blend or pulse for a few seconds.
- Serve with grated cheese, tortilla crisps and a swirl of cream if desired.
Did you know the 2nd edition of my soup maker book is coming out? This one will be full of photos, updated recipes and some new ones thrown in - it's available for pre-order now!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 164Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 478mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 8gSugar: 7gProtein: 9g