Carrot and ginger soup is a thick and comforting soup (thanks carrots!) with just the perfect amount of ‘zing’ from the ginger. It’s really easy to make with just a handful of ingredients, and minimum preparation. What’s not to love?
Carrot and Ginger Soup Recipe
I love how easy and quick this soup recipe is. If you are using a soup maker it only takes a little bit of chopping and throwing it all in the machine!
The ingredients you needs are; carrots, onion, garlic, fresh root ginger and some vegetable stock.
1. Chop up the carrots, onion and garlic
I don’t bother peeling the carrots these days. I always used to peel everything for some reason – now I just give them a really good scrub and cook with the skin on. The soup maker works so well at blending – the soup comes out smooth as velvet every time.
2. Slice or grate the ginger
If possible I like to use fresh root ginger, but you can use ground ginger if that’s all you have. I always used to grate the fresh ginger into the soup but this time round I tried just adding it in whole (I used a piece about 1 inch in length and peeled).
I only tried it like this as I was using the Ninja Soup Maker and it has a chop function. If you are using a different soup maker, or cooking it in a pan, you should still slice or grate it before adding.
3. Add everything to the soup maker (or pan)
You can optionally saute the ingredients before cooking them – this makes more sense if you have a soup maker with a built in saute function, or you are making it in a pot on the stove. Just use a little oil or butter and gently cook the onion, garlic and ginger.
Fill up the soup maker with enough vegetable stock to take it to the required MIN or MAX level – depending on your soup maker this should be around 750ml – to 800ml. You can use a similar amount if making in a pan.
4. Cooking the soup
Set the soup maker off on smooth. Alternatively if you prefer a little more texture to your soup you can make it on the chunky/hearty setting and then give it a short blend at the end.
If you are making it in a pan, allow the soup to simmer for around 20 to 25 minutes or until the carrots have softened. Use a hand blender to blitz the soup until it is at your desired consistency.
I hope you enjoy this carrot and ginger soup, if so, please feel free to join us in my Soup Maker Recipes Group on FB where we share more recipes.
You can also join my newsletter to get recipes straight to your inbox.
As always if you have any questions or comments please let me know below (or you can email me).
- 2-3 tbsp fresh root ginger*, grated
- 1 onion, chopped
- 600g carrots, peeled, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 750ml vegetable stock (approx)
- Seasoning of your choice (optional)
In A Ninja Soup Maker
- Add onion, garlic and ginger to jug. Add in a little oil if you are using the saute feature. Press chop.
- Optional: sauté the onion, garlic and ginger.
- Add remaining ingredients taking care not to go over the MAX soup level.
- Place the lid on the soup maker. Select the 'Smooth' setting.
- Once ready, season with salt/pepper if required.
In Another Soup Maker
1. Optional: sauté the onion, garlic and ginger.
2. Add the remaining ingredients taking care not to go over the MAX soup level.
3. Place the lid on the soup maker and select the smooth setting.
4. Season according to taste.
* If you don't have fresh ginger you can substitute with 1 to 2tsp of ground ginger.