Slow cooker chicken chasseur is a recipe that contains mushrooms, garlic, white wine, and tomato sauce.
It’s usually served on top of rice or pasta to soak up the delicious flavours.
Slow cookers are perfect for dishes like this because they provide long periods of low heat, allowing the different flavours to infuse with the softening chicken.
The following recipe will show you how easy it is to make chicken chasseur with just a few ingredients and minimal effort!
How to make Chicken Chasseur in a Slow Cooker
To make a classic chicken chasseur you will need the following ingredients;
- chicken thighs or breast
- onion, garlic
- mushrooms – the type of mushroom you use is up to you, I tend to use baby chestnut button mushrooms
- chopped tomatoes (I use a 400g tin) + tomato purée
- dry white wine (optional)
- dried thyme, bay leaf
- chicken stock
Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker and stir together. Remember you don’t need to use too much stock as liquid will be released during the cooking time.
I tend to leave the chicken in whole pieces rather than chop them up first, if you do cut it before cooking, reduce the cooking time as it will cook faster.
Place the lid on and set off on low for 6 to 8 hours (if using thighs) or 4 hours on low for chicken breast.
If at the end of the cooking time the sauce is too thin you can thicken it up with some cornflour – mix 1 tsp with 2 tbsp water before adding it. Alternatively you can leave the lid off for the last 30 minutes.
Chicken chasseur can be served with mashed potato, rice, or your preferred choice of side dish.
How To Store Chicken Chasseur
If you’ve made extra chicken chasseur it can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days, or frozen for up to 3 months.
- 4-8 boneless chicken thighs or breast
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 200g baby chestnut or button mushrooms, halved
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 150ml dry white wine (optional)
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- ½ tsp dried thyme, or 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 200ml hot chicken stock
- Add chopped tomatoes, hot stock, dry white wine (if using) and tomato puree to slow cooker and stir together.
- Add in the onion, garlic, carrots, mushrooms and herbs and stir.
- Place chicken in the slow cooker and gently mix it in so it is covered in the sauce.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours (thighs) 4 hours for breast.
If the sauce is too thin, stir in a cornflour paste (1 tsp cornflour mixed with 2 tbsp water) or leave the lid off for the last 30 minutes of cooking time.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 589Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 275mgSodium: 506mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 6gSugar: 12gProtein: 59g