Chinese Chicken Curry is a popular takeaway – the good news is you can make it in your slow cooker! With minimal preparation, you can replicate this delicious curry at home.
How To Make Chinese Chicken Curry In A Slow Cooker
I used the Mayflower Chinese style medium curry sauce mix and made a variation of the recipe on their packaging. I bought it from Iceland – I’ve not seen it in other supermarkets but I expect some do stock it.
If you’ve had Chinese chicken curry before you will know that it is quite mild in taste, so perfect for all taste buds in the family!
What You Need:
- Chicken thighs – you can also use chicken breast
- Garlic cloves & onion
- Fresh root ginger grated or ground ginger
- Chinese curry powder
- Chicken stock cube/pot
- Boiling water
- Soy sauce
- Sweet peppers (any colours)
- Frozen peas
- Salt & Pepper
Mix the curry powder, stockpot, soy sauce, garlic and ginger in with the boiling water.
Stir until the powder and stock are dissolved.
Add the chicken to the slow cooker pot before pouring the above mixture over it. I add it in raw, but you can seal it first if you prefer.
I leave the sweet peppers and peas until the last 20 to 30 minutes so that they aren’t too overcooked and soft. You can add them in at the beginning though if you prefer.
Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or high for 3 hours (you can cook it on low for longer if you are going to be out of the house).
Remember to add the peppers and peas 20 to 30 minutes before the end if you didn’t put them in at the beginning.
If the sauce is too runny at the end, either leave the lid off for the last 30 minutes or, mix together some water and cornflour to thicken it up.
100 easy to make, tried and tested UK recipes including;
- Chilli Peanut Coconut Chicken
- Beef & Sweet Potato Stew
- Chocolate Lava Cake - and many more!
What To Serve With Chinese Chicken Curry
Chinese Chicken Curry is great with rice, noodles or over a baked potato.
Related: Slow Cooker Recipes Collection
- 100g Chinese curry powder*
- 1 chicken stock cube/pot
- 350ml boiling water
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh root ginger, grated/1tsp ground ginger
- 8 boneless chicken thighs
- 2 sweet peppers (any colours), thinly sliced
- 150g frozen peas
- Mix the Chinese curry powder with the water, chicken stock pot, soy sauce, garlic, onion and ginger.
- Place chicken thighs in the slow cooker and pour liquid mixture over the top.
- Set off on low for 4-6 hours or high for 3 hours.
- Half an hour before the end, add the sliced peppers and frozen peas. If the sauce is too thin at the end of the cooking time, leave the lid off for the last 30 minutes and put the slow cooker on high. Alternatively, stir in a cornflour slurry to thicken up.
- Serve with rice, noodles or over a baked potato.
*I used Mayflower Chinese style medium curry sauce mix that I bought in Iceland.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 533Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 275mgSodium: 748mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 16gSugar: 7gProtein: 63g